|Year Of The Dragon|
The Afternoon of March 20th (13:14 Singapore time to be exact) marked the turn of a new year and the Spring Equinox thus marking the first day of the first month of the Persian Calendar.
"Norouz" meaning New Day, has been celebrated in Iran and some neighboring countries for over 2000 years as the beginning of spring and the hope for a new and better life in the coming year.
"Haft Sîn or the seven 'S's is a major traditional table setting of Noruz, the traditional Iranian spring celebration.Today the haft sin table includes seven specific items starting with the letter 'S' or Sīn (س) in the Persian alphabet. The seven elements of Life, namely Fire, Earth, Water, Air, Plants, Animals, and Human, are represented.
They also have Astrological correlations to five planets Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Sun and Moon. The Haft Sin has evolved over time, but has kept its symbolism. Traditionally, families attempt to set as beautiful a Haft Sīn table as they can, as it is not only of traditional and spiritual value, but also noticed by visitors during Noruz visitations and is a reflection of their good taste.
The Haft Sīn items are:
- sabzeh - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth
- samanu - a sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing affluence
- senjed - the dried fruit of the oleaster tree - symbolizing love
- sīr - garlic - symbolizing medicine
- sīb - apples - symbolizing beauty and health
- somaq - sumac berries - symbolizing (the color of) sunrise
- serkeh - vinegar - symbolizing age and patience.
|My Angry Bird Sabzeh <3|
- Sonbol - Hyacinth (plant)
- Sekkeh - Coins - representative of wealth
- traditional Iranian pastries such as baghlava, toot, naan-nokhodchi
- Aajeel - dried nuts, berries and raisins
- lit candles (enlightenment and happiness)
- a mirror (symbolizing cleanness and honesty)
- decorated eggs, sometimes one for each member of the family (fertility)
- a bowl of water with goldfish (life within life, and the sign of Pisces which the sun is leaving). As an essential object of the Noruz table, this goldfish is also "very ancient and meaningful" and with Zoroastrian connection.
- rosewater, believed to have magical cleansing powers
- the national colors, for a patriotic touch
- a holy book (e.g., the Avesta, Qur'an,or Kitáb-i-Aqdas) and/or a poetry book (almost always either the Shahnameh or the Divan of Hafiz)"
|These are our painted/decorated eggs - Done by Moi!|
|Our Bad-ass Ninja Turtles Eggs - Done by Hubby!|
Happy New Year Everyone! May this year bring us happiness, prosperity, health, wealth and peace!